Saturday, June 23, 2012

Skagway Finale

The city of Skagway is about four blocks wide plus an airstrip, and a dozen or so blocks long.  Just big enough for it's 800 year round residents.  The next picture is kinda outta place, but is the view as you are leaving the Skagway inlet.  Another one of my favorite pictures.
 Meet Skagway Earl...
This bird OWNS the streets of Skagway, and will sit on the roof and tell you about it.
Just like somebody else we used to know.
 Alaskan Billboards ~~

 The edifice of this building was covered completely in driftwood...
Of course we had to stop for a burger and a beer (or two) at the Skagway Brewing Company.
I had the Spruce beer, which was quite interesting, so interesting that i had another.  ALA got the T-Shirt.  Under the logo and a cool picture the caption was "Preventing scurvy for centuries."

Skagway was my favorite of the towns that we visited.  I could live in Skagway.  Called Susan and told her to put packs on the goats and start herding them north, but she whuddn't havin' any.

Tsk tsk.

I got a little out of sync with the story telling. Skagway pictures and stories actually should have come later, but i was all hopped up about the White Pass train trip and couldn't contain myself.

Blame it on ALA.

Ya see, what happened was....while we were on the train, somebody came around with a video of the excursion for sale. I missed this person because i was like an excited child on the back platform, clicking away and soaking it all up. That evening, on the way back to the boat, i asked ALA if she would mind if we stopped by the depot to see if they had the DVD there. She tried to put me off by telling me she thought it was only available on the train, but i insisted on going, anyway. Sure enough, there was the video. She gently convinced me i didn't need it, and i settled for a fridge magnet with a good picture instead. That night, when i headed to bed, i found the DVD on my pillow. What a friend!!!! Tolja, she pulled out all the stops!

When i got started with posting the pics, i had just ridden the rails again from my living room.

Twice.

And it was all i could think of.

So i got started in the middle of the trip instead of the beginning.

Tomorrow we are gonna back up, get on track (pun intended) and have a look at some glacier action.

No comments: