Friday, June 29, 2012

Kayaking The Alaskan Wild Part I

Far off in the distance, over the serene water, you can see a small break in the clouds that is sporting a patch of blue.  Underneath that you will find Mendenhall Glacier.
ALA took us for a kayaking adventure to see the glacier and some wildlife. 

Long ago and far away, i did a little kayaking. 
I was much younger then, and it was in a much warmer place.
At that time, all you needed was a swimsuit, a paddle, and a kayak.

In Alaska, you need GEAR.
I didn't mind suiting up in the whole regalia, but balked when they made me put on mud boots. 

I told those whipper snappers that i wore mud boots every day of my life, and this was my vacation, and i was not gonna wear those mud boots, and they said, "Shall we take your shoes for you, ma'am?" and they were so polite that i wore the stinkin' mud boots.

 
The Bald Eagles were every where, dipping and diving.  The tour guide called them "Alaskan Vultures," and i could certainly see the truth in that.  They were such scavengers.
The funny thing was, as massive as these birds are, they have little sqeeky weenie voices. 
And this would be a Juneau traffic jam...


No comments: