Sunday, May 22, 2011

Runner Ducky, You're The One....

You make bath time SO much fun!!!

No worries, we don't have a bath tub.
HOLD THAT SMART REMARK...i know what you are thinking.
We have a shower, and it gets used every day.

Don't mess with my high.  I am singing because---guess what i am getting for my birthday!!???!!!

Susan, dear Susan has ordered
Indian Runner Ducklings!!!!!!!!
I am SO excited!!!  I just can't wait!!!!

And ya know what makes it even better?  I just told Jed he was gonna have a few more mouths to feed, and he said, "Really?  Cool."

I about fell over.

AND, Susan gave me a Southern Living MEAT Cookbook!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Then, as we were headed home from Susan's, we stopped at a real grocery store, and found "Coronado Paleton de Cajeta Quemada" which is the long way to say "Goat Milk Lollipops."  Let me tell you how fabulous they are.    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH MMMMYYYYYYYYYYYY, but they are scrumptious!  I wish you were all here, i would share.  And i could share with all of you, because i bought all the store had....they are THAT fabulous. 

These lovely things were offsetting our Fortunately/Unfortunately trip to Susan's. 

Fortunately, she found a really good home for two of our baby boys, Cason and Veribest.  Unfortunately, they both had to be wethered. 

I really wanted Cason's genetics in my herd (his mom is Legacy,) but he is...well, i think he must be dain bramaged.  We wanted to call him Slipknot, remember?  He is just a pain in the patootey, for what we do around here, sooooo......

Veribest is the heart breaker though.  He was the buckling i was thinking about keeping, and Susan has been trying to talk me into swapping something for him all spring.  We both think he is the best looking buckling we have produced here--conformation, top line, shoulders, back width, looks, dispostition, personality, the total package.  But as he grew out, it became evident that he had a small problem with his dangly bits.  I have been heartbroken for a month.  We were hoping it was something he might grow out of, but Susan has done all the research, and it ain't gonna happen.  Turns out it is a recessive gene thing, not a bad gene pool, just one of those things that happens every 1,000 kids or so.  We just happen to have drawn the lucky number.  Go figure.  Susan said we had to apply the green cheerio today, but not to let her look at him before she did it.  The telling thing there is that she is usually very ruthless about that.  I am more prone to try to leave them intact, but she is adamant about wethering anything that is not the very best (no pun intended.)
<<sigh>>

And Snippy went to Camp Queenacres.  In exchange for hay, he is gonna spend his last happy days there before he becomes tasty ribs.  It is a good thing.

So that was my day.  Reduced my kid herd by 40%, scored a really great cookbook and some amazing cajeta lollies, and am looking forward to having baby runner duckies!!  It all kinda took the sting out of loosing Veribest.

For me, that is.

HE thinks he has a headache.

4 comments:

Queenacres said...

I've discovered something interesting about one of your ducklings. You're going to flip when you see it! Keeping you in suspense because you need some sort of birthday suprise!

Bill said...

Queenacres, have you been wethering the ducks?

Queenacres said...

Nope! Duckies keep their dangly bits outta sight!

Unknown said...

😢