Saturday, June 30, 2012

Kayaking The Alaskan Wild Part II

Our kayaking trip took place at low tide, and this was the view under the eagle you saw yesterday.

This harbor seal followed us from a distance.
We asked for directions, but he just stared at us like we were tourists or something. 
Actually, i am not quite sure he wasn't trying to lead us astray.
Remember my thing with dandelions?   They are HUGE in Alaska...long tall stalks and big ol' heads.  Guess they don't get much of a growing season, so they make up for the quantity with quality.
And here we find ALA with Mendenhall Glacier and wild Alaska as a backdrop. 
The kayaking excursion was wonderful, in spite of my physical frailties (there is a story about getting out of the kayak, but i won't go there.)  It was good to be on the water again (for one last time, as the case may be,) and i loved seeing the critters up close.  When we got back and turned in our gear (and mud boots) ALA got us the T-shirt.  I have never done and activity and "gotten the T-shirt" before.  I must say, it is the treasured souvenier from the trip (and it's purple!!)

I think Kayaking Wild Alaska was my favorite part of the trip.

ALA was great...she didn't make me ride to the top of the hill in this...gondolas have always scared the begeebers out of me.  We rode one in Aspen years and years ago, and she never even knew it bothered me until she said something about taking this one and i begged off.  Even after all these years, we are still learning things about each other.
Now how is this for a pout house?  I would love one of those...folks would really leave ya alone in one of those!
When we got back from the kayaking trip, ALA went to play in a tournament, and i crawled into bed to be lulled to sleep by my cognac and the gentle rocking of the boat as we left Juneau and headed to our next destination.

By about this time, we had seen all the animals that you are supposed to see on this trip, except for the mountain goat. 

I wanted to see the mountain goats.

I was only half awake, when the ship's naturalist comes on the speaker and says that she has spotted a herd of mountain goats on the port side of the boat.

I REALLY wanted to see the mountain goats.

But i was REALLY comfortable.
And tired.

If i was going to see the mountain goats, it meant that i had to get up
RIGHT THEN,
get dressed,
find the camera,
LEAVE the room,
and get to the deck on the other side of the boat.

REAL FAST.

I decided to stay where i was and imagine Moon in a furry white coat.

Unfortunately, this was the only goat sighting on the whole trip.
So i squandered my big chance.

Oddly, i am okay with that.

Moon is quite fetching in a burly sort of way, in his furry white coat.

No comments: