Friday, October 21, 2011

Paris Got Her Sweet Tooth

Nubian goats are notorious for having a sweet tooth.  The sweeter and sticker the better.  They are especially fond of powdered sugar donuts and honey buns.  I love it when they eat the donuts...they get little white mustaches.  I also adore watching them eat Swedish Fish and Twizzlers--it is kinda like watching a dog eat peanut butter.

When i walk out with treats, the senior does storm the fence line, and poor Maud, Splendora and Paris stand in the middle of the doe yard, all cute and blinky eyed, wondering what is going on, but not wondering enough to risk injury by getting in the middle of the feeding frenzy.  I have tried many times to give them their share of the fruit and treats, but they have chosen to remain hay and grain babies.

This morning i was handing out animal cookies at the gate, then walked back in the dairy barn and found Paris, all alone with her head in the manger.  I tried to give her a cookie, but she was not sure...sniffed at it, but remained leery.  I dropped the cookie in the hay in front of her, and allowed her to experiment on her own.  She finally  took a chomp on it, and i swear her eyes popped open wide!  She then chewed with gusto, and when finished, looked at me expectantly.  I hand fed her a good dozen cookies, which she pretty much inhaled without discretion (she bit my finger trying to get one of them.) 

I then took another handful out to try to entice Maud and Splendora. 
They weren't having any.

But Paris joined the Big Girl Feeding Frenzy.

My little girl is growing up.

No comments: